IntNSA Portugal hosted its first-ever Scientific Event on November 13, 2019 at Lisbon Nursing School (ESEL). Our IntNSA Portugal chapter colleagues reflect on their experience of the event.
“We had the privilege of having with us nurses from across the country. They were from Specialized Drug Units, Primary Health Care, Non-Governmental Organizations, Higher Education Institutions and hospitals. We had also colleagues from other professional groups and nursing students amongst the audience.
- We’ve thanked IntNSA, ESEL, and the National Service on Addictions (SICAD) for their support for this event and the warm welcome they have provided to our association.
- We HONORED all nurses who have worked in the field of Addictions for decades, in different organizations and contexts of care practice.
- IntNSA Portugal President (Prof. Paulo Seabra) presented our mission and Activities Plan for the next years.
- We had a fantastic conference with Prof. Joaquim Lopes and nurse Nuno Murcho (moderated by Rui Sequeira – IntNSA Portugal President-Elect), that led us to reflect from the past, think about the present and foresee the future of Nursing in Addictions, its responsibility, its performance, and its interdisciplinarity.
- A debate followed which gave rise to many questions about the answers we have, the answers we are giving and the answers that many of us want to achieve, in the defense of the needs of our service users, their families and our communities. The responses of Primary Health Care, NGO’s, interinstitutional articulation, etc., were addressed. We all felt that the space for reflection and sharing was brief.
Despite the challenges faced, together and only with the participation of the many, will we able to build paths in many different areas.
We thank all participants for attending and for their contributions.”